“A ‘yoke’ is something that holds things together. ‘Lore’ means a set of stories or a collection of ideas about an event, time, or culture,” explained Adrian Galvin of his name. Yoke Lore is the new musical venture of former Yellerkin and Walk the Moon member. With his soulful beats, he’s gained millions of Spotify streams and his songs were licensedto be featured in MTV’s The Real World and Netflix’s Santa Clarita Diet.. Now, Adrian’s getting ready for his SXSW performance and we got a chance to speak to him and ask him some fun questions. Read his answers below and catch up on all the SXSW updates here.
1. When and why did you start playing music?
- It wasn’t truly a “when” and “why.” It was more a question of “how” for me. It was always in me, and it was just a question of how to do it. I first found an answer in the drums.
2. What’s your songwiting process?
- It can begin with anything. Usually, for me, a melody pops up or a drum beat comes through while I’m driving, eating, taking a shower, or about to fall asleep. Then, I take that idea and flush it out, play with it, add words to it, and give it body and flesh.
3. What’s your favorite song to jam in the car?
- “Little Too Late” by JoJo
4. What are you most proud of?
- Supporting myself as an artist
5. What would you do if you weren’t a musician?
6. Your three favorite things about Austin.
- Its food, its accessibility, and Barton Springs.
7. Three songs you can’t stop listening to at the moment.
- “Running Up That Hill” by Kate Bush
- “You Deserve This” by Men I Trust
- “Heaven Or Las Vegas” by Cocteau Twins
Don’t miss Yoke Lore‘s SXSW performances:
@ Empire Control Room Mar 14, 11:00pm — 11:40pm
@ Blackheart Mar 15, 11:00pm — 11:40pm
@ Parlor Room Mar 16, 9:00pm — 9:55pm