SXSW Music Festival is here, and artists from all over the world are getting ready for a week full of live music, movies, delicious food, drinks and more. One of them is pronoun, the project of Brooklyn-via-Boston musician Alyse Vellturo. Just last month she released her debut EP, ‘There’s No One New Around You‘. We got a chance to speak with self-described “teeny tiny” singer songwriter ahead of her performance.
1. Describe your (musical) style in three words.
- Salty emo pop
2. Who influences your music?
- Some older emo bands like Jimmy Eat World, The Appleseed Cast, but also a ton of new artists like Julien Baker and The Japanese House. Anything attention grabbing, pop, but honest.
3. What are you most excited about playing at SXSW?
- There are so many amazing bands that I get to work with at my day job but don’t role through NYC often. It’s great being able to pop around and see bands that I love back to back while surrounded by friends.
4. Do you remember the first time you wrote a song?
- The first first time? Not really, but the first song I wrote for this project was “Just cuz you can’t”. I was cooped up in the corner of my bedroom feeling extremely defeated emotionally. The whole thing poured out in about an hour.
5. Who would you like to go on tour with?
- Now, Now!!! I love them so much and can’t wait for their new record.
6. What’s your motto? What advice would you give readers?
- Be kind. Know you’re worth. And confidence is everything.
7. Your three favorite things about Austin
NICE WEATHER IN MARCH!!!!
Don’t miss pronoun‘s performance at Malverde Mar 14, at 10:00pm. Also, don’t miss any SXSW updates here.